*NEW FOR 2013! Bus transportation to select areas of New York City, Brooklyn and Queens. Scroll down for more details!
Safety is of the utmost importance during the transportation of our campers to and from camp. Therefore, our transportation policies are set in accordance with the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles and the American Camp Association. These procedures are designed to provide all travelers with the safest and most efficient bus transportation possible.
Buses At Rolling River Are:
- Department of Transportation (D.O.T.) inspected
- Air Conditioned
- Mini Buses seating a maximum of 20 individuals
- Fitted with seat belts
- “Coach” buses with air conditioning, bathroom and a DVD player to show age appropriate movies when transportation is needed for extended day, off-campus trips (eg. Splish Splash, N.Y. City attractions)
Bus Drivers And Bus Counselors
Each bus driver is licensed, qualified, of an appropriate age and trained by our Transportation supervisor. The bus drivers’ primary responsibility is to drive the bus and focus on the road. Each bus includes a Rolling River bus counselor whose primary responsibility is to attend to the needs of the campers.
Bus Drivers at Rolling River:
- have Commercial Drivers Licenses
- are drug tested before and during the camp season
- fingerprinted for further identification
- are trained extensively by our Transportation supervisor
- are required to continue an ongoing driving practice program led by the Transportation supervisor
- are at least 21 years old
- are hired from professional bus companies if we do not have enough Rolling River staff to cover our transportation needs
Rolling River Extras
To maximize safety and comfort we:
- always have a minimum of ONE Rolling River staff member whose job it is to be a bus counselor on EVERY bus that leaves our facility
- keep our morning and afternoon bus runs as short as possible
- have all parents and campers review and sign a copy of “Bus Blurbs”; a clear, comprehensive listing of rules, policies, procedures and expectations for all individuals when riding on our buses
- have bus driver and bus counselor conduct a pre-camp visit/orientatio n to each individual home to introduce themselves and give them an approximate time of pick up and drop off
Pick Up Locations
The Rolling River Fleet services many towns in the surrounding neighborhoods around East Rockaway & Oceanside. Door-to-door pick up towns include Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Long Beach, Hewlett, Woodmere, Lawrence, Cedarhurst, Island Park, Baldwin, Malverne, Franklin Square, Floral Park, Atlantic Beach, Lido Beach, Garden City, West Hempstead, Freeport, Merrick, Bellmore, Hempstead and Elmont.
NEW FOR 2013! Rolling River Day Camp buses will be traveling to select areas of New York City, Brooklyn and Queens. These locations will have convenient, centralized bus stops to minimize time on the bus.
- Manhattan: Upper East Side, Gramercy and Murray Hill.
- Brooklyn: Park Slope, Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill, Brooklyn Heights and Mill Basin.
- Queens: Howard Beach, Broad Channel, the Rockaways, Belle Harbor, Forest Hills, Bayside and Long Island City.
Transportation Fees for Pick-Up/Drop-Off in Brooklyn and Queens
- Transportation fee per camper for bus with 1 to 6 campers= $500 for 8 weeks, $400 for 6 weeks, $300 for 4 weeks
- Transportation fee per camper for bus with 7 or more campers= $300 for 8 weeks, $250 for 6 weeks, $200 for 4 weeks
Transportation Fees for Pick-Up/Drop-Off in Manhattan
- Transportation fee per camper for bus with 1 to 6 campers= $600 for 8 weeks, $500 for 6 weeks, $400 for 4 weeks
- Transportation fee per camper for bus with 7 or more campers= $400 for 8 weeks, $350 for 6 weeks, $300 for 4 weeks